How to stop Aging
If you are wondering about how to stop aging, then this blog could help you a lot. Discover Scientists & Ayurveda’s discoveries on aging and the solution they have to offer to beat aging and make your body more healthy.
It’s been more than 3.8 billion years since the formation of earth. Physicist say, the early life started forming a little later with single celled organisms like prokaryotes, algae, protozoan and they got multiplied by fission into daughter cells. This multiplication of cells in them never stopped and that is why they are considered as immortal. Some perennial plants, bacteria and a few animals are potentially biologically immortal.
For ex; organisms such as freshwater polyps of the genus “hydra” or trees like “taxus baccata” having some specimens between 4 to 5 thouand year old, have a regenerative ability or are aging at a negligible rate by which they avoid dying of old age. This does not apply to human beings.
However, there are some cells with the potential for immortality like cancer cells which does not die when maintained in a cell structure such as HeLa cell line and some stems cells.
This inevitable process of growth and senility starts long back from opening eyes in this world and continue even after some time of death.
This process does not stop but continue at different rates for different tissues of body and at a different rate for different individuals.
Aging represents structural and functional changes of an organism over its entire life span. Everyone amongst us are madeup of around 13 trillion of cells. Our body part and tissues are bundle of cells all held together.
As in the field of artificial cloning, Leonard hayflick in 1961 did an experiment and found that adult cells can be rejuvenated to embryonic status and then grow a new tissue or animal without aging. But after fifty cell divisions normal human cells die in laboratory culture.
Physical, psychological and social changes like wrinkles, brittleness of bones, gray hair to the accumulation of changes in a human being comes over time. Vision of eyes, for example, may reduce with age, while knowledge and wisdom expand.
Around 1,50,000 people die each day across the globe and about two third amongst them die because of old age related issues.United nation estimates that number of people aged 60 years or more will increase from 1 in 10 currently too 1 in 5 by 2050.
By this year 2020, the World will have more than one billion people aged 60 and over, and more than two-thirds of them will be living in the developing countries. While By 2050, the ratio of people aged 65 years or older to those aged 15–64 years will double in developed nations and triple in developing nations.
So, why does this aging take place?
Although this is a natural way to give space to the coming ones still, no body wants to die.
There are basically three widely accepted theories of aging by scientists.
1.This theory focus on the damage concept and states that due to acuumulation of damage (dna oxidation) may cause biological system to fail.
2- This theory states that aging is the programmed one. In which Internal process such as dna methylation may cause aging. But in this programmed aging the death of cells is not normal as “apoptosis”.
3- “The force of selection declines as a function of age this observation” led peter Medawar and George William come up with these two hypothesis which explains why organisms grow old and die. the mutation accumulation and the antagonistic pleiotropy theory. This is also called as evolutionary theory of ageing.
You will get to know about these three theories in detail and ayurveda view which will definitely surprise you.
Do you know that skin is the largest external organ in a human body? It is also the fastest growing organ. Staying and looking young has always been sought after in both males and females.
To understand about skin aging you must know your skin. Your skin has many layers and can be divided into three main parts:
- Epidermis –The top layer contains skin cells, pigment, and proteins.
- Dermis – The middle layer constitute of blood vessels, nerves, hair follicles, and oil glands. This layer provides nutrients to the epidermis.
- Subcutaneous layer – The inner layer contains sweat glands, hair follicles, blood vessels, and fat.
Each layer consists of connective tissue with “collagen “ fibers to strengthen elastin, which gives skin the strength and elasticity.
You may have heard of this word collagen as it is widely used in skincare.
Do you know that collagen is most important thing for healthy and youthful looking skin.
So, what is Collagen exactly and what role does it play in our skin?
Collagen is basically a type of structural protein, that makes up over 75-80% of our skin. This ribonucleo protein in our skin is responsible for its, plumpness, elasticity, firmness and youthfulness. Collagen is all over your body including the muscles and bones where it provides necessary strength.
Healthy skin repairs and makes new collagen regularly to keep itself smooth and free from fine lines.
In context with how to stop aging, A study found that by using preventive Ayurvedic treatment and principals during late youth or middle age May help reduce the incidence of health problems later on ,which also means increasing lifespan .
According to experts, we can predict a certain amount of things from our own constitution and act accordingly . for example I tend to get cold easily and have low immunity system, this problem will only increase with age and I will be more susceptible to disease over time, so, I have started taking proper nutritious diet according to ayurveda and also made some changes in lifestyle. the more you recognize and learn to manage your weaknesses now, the better of you will be 10 or 20 or more years down the line .
The best time to consider your own challenge and imbalance is during transitions, new stage of life, new season.
Ayurveda talks about longevity or better well being, you could find harmony and balance when you understand about your constitution, your doshas, impact & effect of diet, lifestyle.
The following Principles of ayurveda gives an answer for how to stop aging :
– Avoid the aggravating causes of Kshaya (degeneration) and Vatta, for example, excessive physical and mental work, tough workouts, tolerance of unsuppressible urges, intolerance of suppressible urges etc;
– Take a Santarpaka (nutritive) & Laghu (light) diet. Support your body to stay its channels freed from debris and to stay your metabolism vital. Favour fresh, nourishing foods: whole grains, dairy products seasonal fruits, nuts, , olive oil, natural sugars, like fructose, many green vegetables,and beautiful gift of nature spices and the Herbs.
– Enjoy your meals in peace . Eat neither an excessive amount nor insufficient . chew well and fill only your stomach to about two-thirds of its capacity. Don’t put pressure on your digestive system by eating over again and again.keep atleast 1 gap of 3 hours in the next diet . sipping some hot water between meals is considered fine. Before meals, chewing a piece of fresh ginger with a few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of salt, or sipping hot ginger water is useful for digestion .
* To keep your body young and agile you can best strengthen the mind-body coordination of all dosha types with meditation, yoga, and long walks. It also relieves your body from stress.
* Pitta – swimming, light exercises, working in garden etc are good options for them.
* Kapha – As they mostly have strong built, can enjoy a vigorous workout. walking, jogging or running daily is a good option to keep themselves young & fit.
* For Vata types yoga, & cycling is good.
– The skin is the mirror of the soul – its lustre, radiance and health is affected not only by sensory perceptions and external factors, but also, by feelings which are expressed through the skin. Abhyanga massage does wonder on body as it touches both, body and soul. If we talk about Skincare based on the gunas:
* vata skin: As The attributes of vata are dry, cold, rough, light subtle, skin should be nourished and rehydrated to avoid wrinkles and premature aging. Warm oil self-massage and natural moisturizers help to rejuvenate.
* pitta skin: As they have a fiery nature sunscreens and facial skin oils should be favored on the daily basis .
* kapha skin: As Kapha mainly have Oily and soft skin so warm oil massage and cleansing of the skin will be beneficial for it.
– keep intermittent fasting as it is very good for overall health and specially for your skin.
– If you feel like something out of balance in your body , consult a doctor & take treatments promptly.
– Consider what is good for your constitution & take everything preferably in organic quality.
-At bedtime warm milk is beneficial for good sleep and re-energies yourself. An ayurvedic tea boosts immunity and keep you active throughout the day. Baths with aroma oils put the body in a relaxing & peaceful mood.
– Our lifestyle has caused our brains to be unsteady and unfocussed. continuous tv or mobile phones degrades our memory. Try backing out from all kind of technology and choose meditation, yoga, exercises for a more better and sharper memory.
-In our daily lifestyle we are more dependent on stimulants like coffee. But with age it can have opposite of its intended effect, leaving you tired and sluggish. Take into account the impacts of a routine in long term
To improve mental immunity increase the level of satya(truth) by any means in mind, principles of Sadvritta and Achara Rasayana says to connect oneself in the Supreme Power (God), the eternal truth.
Proper diet, exercise and lifestyle can create a balance among these three subtle essences, ensuring long &healthy life.
Ayurveda holds a treasure of exceptional anti-aging natural herbs & treatments that rejuvenate the skin and make it youthful. There are over 200 herbs that have been documented in ayurveda with their special properties that maintain and enhance the health and beauty of the skin. These treatments have multiple benefits such as antioxidant cellular protection, anti-inflammatory and anti-stress properties.
In order to find the answer of how to stop aging, there are many synthetic options available in the market and some have serious side effects while ayurveda does it 100 percent naturally.
To know about the herbs, their usage & more about Aging you can go through this book “Science,Ayurveda & aging” by ravi shankar prasad Available on Amazon Kindle.